My inner thoughts

Monday, October 24, 2005

One of the things that I do not like about myself is my inability to speak fluently. Sometimes (less than 5% of my sentences) when I want to speak (usually it would be asking a question or telling some kind of story), I tend to stutter at the start of the sentence. For example, I tend to have a kind of mental block before saying the word ‘What’ or ‘Why’. For some reason, my brain has already sent the signals to my larynx (vocal cord) to speak the word that follows those words. Therefore, the next word gets jumbled up with the 1st word and I cannot start the sentence properly. My problem is that I can’t seem to find the problem that causes this. Usually when I stutter, I do not feel nervous at all so we can rule that out. (in fact when I feel nervous, I tend to speak more fluently). Also I do not have stress, fear, or anxiety so we can rule those out too (again I tend to speak more fluently under those situations). It always seem to catch me when I think I’m ‘under control’ with my conversations.
The other time that this would happen is if I try to relate a story (usually something that I have seen with my eyes a few days ago). So my brain plays the story in my head so I can relate that to other people. I think my problem is that the story in my head goes too quickly for me to speak it and so sometimes I get caught in a situation where the story in my head goes too far ahead and I get confused. Therefore, I start stuttering.
However, I know that this problem is only localized to when I’m speaking by forming sentences in my head (a conversation). It doesn’t occur when I imitate people, read out loud, or sing a song.
Hmm I just found an awesome article about stuttering and I think it pretty much explains what I’m going to say more clearly than I can. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuttering Check it out when you have time. It is a good read. (No in fact, please do read it. Maybe if you just read the 1st part until the part before ‘Treatments’. That can help you understand this problem that I have if you really want to know)
So I think, this ‘disability’ causes me to be more reserved than I like to be. One of the frustrating things for me is that sometimes when I have something to say, I usually think too much about it, as I want to start the sentence as fluent as possible. The time that I take usually is too long and so the conversation shifts to another topic.
Maybe after writing this article down, I finally realize the problem that I have and try to improve it so I don’t stutter anymore. (note I used the word ‘improve’ as according to that website stuttering doesn’t have a cure. People who suffer from it can only improve their conditions)

PS I actually wanted to write about this for a long time. So if you thought that your comments made me write this then its not true. I wrote this purely cause I noticed this was a problem for quite a while already. Also, I realized that I can’t actually remember stuttering while I was still in Malaysia. Maybe could someone from Malaysia remind me if I did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home